Dear Friends and Neighbors,
We’re off and running! The 2020 legislative session officially started on Monday. The next 60-days will be fast and furious as we debate and vote on policy. Our primary task in the weeks to come will be approving the supplemental operating, transportation and capital budgets.
In the meantime, we’ll focus our energy in our respected committees listening to testimony as we hear the bills and policy that have been introduced. I urge you to be active in the Legislative process. If there are bills or policy that is brought forward that you agree – or disagree – with, I encourage you to let your voice be heard! If you can come to Olympia, please sign up to testify on the issues that matter most to you.
Big news! | Remote testimony now offered
I know its wintertime and heading over the passes in snow and ice make it difficult to come to Olympia. I don’t want this to discourage you from voicing your thoughts and opinions. I have BIG NEWS!
This session, the House will utilize remote testimony for the first time through a pilot program. Several committees will offer the ability for you to testify remotely on the bills and issues being heard. I’m excited for our district as we have a location at Columbia Basin College in the Tri-Cities as part of this pilot program.
For more a list of the committees offering remote testimony, and instructions on how to sign up, please visit: http://leg.wa.gov/House/Committees/Pages/RemoteTestimony.aspx. I hope you’ll take advantage of this opportunity.
House Page Program
Did you know the House of Representatives has a page and intern program? These programs are a great way to keep our youth involved in their state government and receive hands-on experience in civic education. If you have a child in school who would be interested in these programs, applications are currently being accepted for the 2020 session.
Please visit this link for more information: http://leg.wa.gov/House/Pages/PageandInternPrograms.aspx.
Stay up to date!
I’ll be sending these weekly email updates throughout session. They’ll include information on bills I’ve sponsored, or co-sponsored, updates on policy moving through our committees, and ultimately the policies we’ll be voting for or against once we start House floor action.
I also want to provide you with other helpful links that will keep you informed and updated on the activities happening throughout the Legislature.
- My legislative website | Here you will find my contact information, bio, news releases, email updates, videos, opinion pieces, bills and other information.
- The Washington State Ledger | A news aggregator featuring breaking news, current headlines, policy information, opinions, and more.
- The Current | An online legislative publication from the Washington House Republicans. Click on the link to subscribe.
- Facebook: @wahouserepublicans
- Twitter: @wahousegop
- Instagram: @wahouserepublicans
- TVW | The state’s own version of C-SPAN. TVW broadcasts floor and committee action live, and archives all the action.
- Legislature’s website | You can find bill reports, committee agendas, and information about upcoming activities in the Legislature.
- Capitol Campus activities and events | Come and let your voice be heard! Find a calendar of legislative events here.
Stay in touch!
Please feel free to contact my office with any questions, issues or concerns. I’m your voice in Olympia, and I want to hear from you. My Legislative Assistant is Marge, and she is happy to assist you.
It’s an honor to serve you.